Uganda Certificate of Education-UCE Candidates alongside their headteachers will starting on Monday, March 2, 2020, face grilling sessions courtesy of UNEB UNEB for their alleged involvement in cheating at the 2019 examinations.
This follows summons pitched against over 40 schools reportedly involved in the malpractice by UNEB officials for a chance to defend themselves in a free and fair hearing process.
Daniel Odongo the UNEB executive secretary says that the board has called upon school heads and the learners to respond to these allegations pending further action.
Others include invigilators and scouts assigned to supervise candidates and the entire examinations process in the distressed schools.
Odongo notes that the pointed out schools will present candidates who must defend the answers written during the examination beyond a reasonable doubt.
However, in cases where UNEB has proof that malpractice took place, the student’s results will be canceled and will have to re-sit exams the following year.
The schools will swallow a penalty of losing its UNEB center number.
Odongo says candidates from the affected schools would eventually be placed in schools of their choice if they get the required marks and are cleared by the Board.
In January while announcing the UCE Results 1,262 candidates from 44 schools countrywide had their results withheld for alleged examination malpractices.
A big number of the withheld results involved external help from Headteachers at examination rooms in the presence of invigilators mostly in Mathematics and Science subjects.
The malpractice was also not short of impersonators and smuggling of unauthorized material into examination rooms.
The number of withheld results in 2019 has increased by 160 to 1,262 up from 1,900 last year.