After losing the first leg with boardroom points, without playing, KCCA FC knew that only a fast start would give them any sort of a chance to reach the next stage.

Aheebwa handed them a dream start inside the opening seconds when he pounced onto a lose ball after a routine Denis Iguma was not dealt with by the Kigali defense, to fire home the opening goal off a volleyed effort.

Having taken the initiative in the game but still trailing on aggregate, the KCCA FC were then pegged back for the entire opening quarter and must have felt luck to still be ahead as captain Charles Lukwago produced two fine saves before Ramathan’s challenge on Hussein Tshabala.

Mike Mutebi who took a huge gamble, starting six offensive-minded players, saw his tactics pay off in the final 15 minutes as the home side press the visitors in their own half.

The second goal came on 37 minutes with Aheebwa finishing off a fine team move after collecting from Bright Anukani at the edge of the box.

In an attempt to kill off the game, KCCA made two substitutions at the start of the second half with Sadat Anaku and Steven Sserwadda replacing Joseph Kafumbe and Sam Ssenyonjo.

But before the substitutions could settle in, Kigali equalised from the spot to ensure that the Kasasiros require two more goals.

KCCA struggled to create chances in the opening exchanges of the second half and those that came their way never looked to trouble Bate in the Kigali goal.

Anukani collected from Aheebwa but shot weakly at Bate before Anaku misAga-cued from inside the area after he was sent on his way by the former Proline FC playmaker.

With Kigali starting to relax, KCCA proved that they would not go down minus a fight. Aheebwa clipped the ball over Bate after he was teed up by the industrious Muguma to put the hosts within a goal of the playoff round.

The former Mbarara City FC striker got the last two chance to complete the turnaround and send his side into the playoff round but, first, his week shot inside the area was straight at Bate then once again fired into the custodian’s hands after powering his way through two Kigali defenders.