Singer cum People Power honcho, Hon. Bad Bobi Wine is not happy with some of the musicians who are hoodwinked by small hand outs from the government and forget the oppressed majority.
Bobi claims that there are a few artists who sell out for selfish interests and after look on as their fellow colleagues are exploited by those in the government.
While conducting an interview yesterday night, the Presidential hopeful pointed out that such artists are paid to remain silent as ridiculous laws are passed. “…i respect my fellow artists so much but some of them don’t use their brains to think. Balowooza nti weba kusasula akasente leero enkya oba tewetaaga. Those are the same artists they use to pass those laws…”, he explained.
VIDEO: ‘The new regulations for the creative industry are ‘political’, Singer @HEBobiwine calls upon fellow artistes to unite and fight them. #NBSUncut #NBSUpdates
Posted by NBS Television on Monday, July 27, 2020
Last week, government through Ministry of Information and Communications Technology and National Guidance and the Uganda Communication Commission (UCC) came up with stringent rules called ‘The Stage Play and Public Entertainment Rules 2019’. According the Ministry, the rules will streamline and promote sanity in the art and entertainment industry in Uganda.
However a section of artists claim they were sidelined as these rules were passed.
“The rules were enacted without our presence yet we are the stakeholders in this business. We are not against them but it would have been good if we were also called and give in our thoughts because we are stakeholders,” said Mariam Ndagire actress, film director, and film producer.
Here are the tough conditions set for artistes;
1. An actor or a musician to carry out any show or to perform in any show must first seek permission from the committee which will be formed by both UCC and Ministry of ICT, the committee will decide the amount one will pay to be given that permission.
2. A special committee has been formed to analyze any play or a song or a film Before premiering it or recording it from the studio the committee must first go through it and if any changes do happen, still the committee must be informed.
3. A play or song be it a film written in local languages before going to the committee to get permission one must first rewrite or translate them in English.
4. Video/film producers, photographers who take photos of artists before doing any business with artists, they must first seek permission from the committee.
5. A musician before recording any video of the approved song has to first seek permission from the committee and also must inform the committee of the venue he/she is going to record from and even must include in all materials to be used in the video.
6. It will be a crime for any artist to perform in any show or in the public without a license from the ministry of ICT.
7. A committee may be forced to ask a musician or a video/film producer a ransom before recording the video so that she/he does not break the laws and guidelines the committee has given them to follow while recording the video.
Enock Mugabi aka Eye Witness is a Journalist, Seasoned Writer and Music Analyst with a passion for sports.
Connect with him on social media using the links below in bio.