Another school dormitory catches fire

Pupils at Hoima town mosque Nursery and Primary school are counting loses after property worth millions of shillings was destroyed in a fire that gutted a boy’s dormitory on Tuesday evening.

The fire broke out at 5:00 pm while learners were in class and quickly spread across other shops on the same premises along Old Tooro road. The fire razed to ashes grab, pocket money, books, Mattresses,clothes and shoes also in the shops housing mainly boutiques.

Among shops affected included Kajez Boutique, Kaba Shoe center, Kalidez Master fashions, and Julie’s shoe center among others.

Donanto William Kasigazi, the Hoima City East division, Deputy Resident City Commissioner, says that no life was lost in the fire. He says that preliminary investigations show that the fire could have started from a short circuit.

Julius Hakiza, the Albertine Region police spokesperson, says that investigations into the fire outbreak have commenced.

This is the third school fire registered in a period of one week. On Monday, four dormitories housing S1, 2, 3 and 4 students at Sky’s High School Kibutika in Makindye Sabagabo caught fire. On Sunday at 9:30 pm, a 13 year old senior student perished in a fire at  Kyamate Secondary School boy’s dormitory in Ntungamo district.

The deceased was reportedly killed by a former student who was suspended for bullying him.